The history of this advanced exploration site dates back to the 1860s when the Bluebird mine was first discovered and the 1880s when the Bunker Hill mining district was established.
Claims were staked to cover copper deposits prior to 1900, but little work was done in the district until after 1902. Most of the historical interest in the property came as a result of the massive outcropping of breccias, many of which with green copper oxide minerals readily recognized. By 1913, the Copper Creek Mining Company and its successors (Minnesota-Arizona Mining Company and Copper State Metals and Mining Company) had constructed a dam, power plant, dispensary, and a 200 tonne per day gravity concentrator to mine a small ore body. Approximately 360kt of high-grade ore has been extracted over the site's mining history.